Friday, October 3, 2008

VP Debate at the Bagdad Theater

I've mostly avoided politics on my blog (and avoided the blog for far too long, sorry). I've got some family and friends who disagree with me politically and I try to be sensitive to their views.

But enough is enough.

Sarah Palin is an insult as a candidate.

As I watched the VP debate at the Bagdad Theater in Portland I was awestruck at her refusal to answer the direct questions. Either she didn't have a clue as to the context of them or she out and out has no respect for the debate, the voters or the truth. At one point I had to pull out my John McEnroe voice and scream "ANSWER THE QUESTION!!!!"

Sure, she looked pretty and used her folksy language to her benefit. But all in all she was not prepared to debate and is in no way prepared to be on a national ticket. McCain made the wrong move in choosing her and it will cost him the election.

Her rambling spewing of Republican talking points was to be expected. But even I thought she would answer the questions, albeit poorly. But she didn't even do that. Was that smart?

I used this analogy last night that she looked like someone who was coming into a job interview who was not even close to being qualified for the job. Her ramblings had that effect on me.

Biden answered questions. Gave details. Talked about specific changes and differences. And he didn't attack Palin, rather he attacked McCain. That was smart. He looked presidential.

I doubt that I am going to change anyone's votes. Those in the right wing believe in their agenda even though the agenda under Bush has been skewed full of lies, illegal conduct and downright failures on every front. But I question their concern for the country when they would support someone as unprepared as Sarah Palin on their ticket. This country is in need of real leadership and she is not the answer. Most of them know it. So I challenge them to have the guts to do what is right and either force McCain to drop Palin or choose to vote in another direction. Ron Paul is still on the ballot and he's a better conservative than either of the two on the GOP ticket. So make yourselves heard and vote Ron Paul.

Or better yet, use your heads and vote Obama/Biden.

1 comment:

e.a. said...

Well put, Bruce. Your insight and ability with our language never cease to amaze.

Whereas Obama chose Biden to shore up his foreign policy credentials, McCain chose Palin to play to the disaffected Clinton supporters and to shore up his age.

I don't understand all the hoopla over Palin. It's not like she's the first female VP candidate. Nor is she some longtime political dynamo with amazing policies and ideas to make the country better. She actually reminds me quite a bit of W in that she uses this folksy way of speaking to 'relate' to the voters. Forgive me, but I don't want someone like myself (or the majority of the American populace) in the White House. I'm under-qualified and would probably never be the right person for the job given any amount of coaching/preparation. I want someone in the White House who has brains oozing out of their ears and who has the constitution to handle the rigors of the job. That, to me, is the Obama/Biden ticket. Sarah is palin' in comparison. (Sorry about that one)

She seems to me more of a celebrity with less substance than the GOP accuse Obama of being.

By the way, I hate politics. They make me feel dirty.